All scientific studies agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
The simple act of eating a balanced breakfast has an impact on satiety and reduction of hunger during the day, thereby warding off many problems and staying fit for a long time.
What’s more, eating well after eight to twelve hours of fasting can rebuild one’s reserves of glucose, the basic fuel of the brain, which improves mental performance, memory and concentration before noon.
Composition of a nutritious breakfast:
On an average, a good breakfast should provide 20-25% of the total energy intake for the day and be balanced. It should contain foods from at least three of the four food groups:
- 2 servings of grains, preferably whole grain: bread, bagels, oatmeal, cream of wheat, quinoa, breakfast cereals, etc. (carbs and fibre keep you going throughout the morning)
- 1 serving of fruit or fruit juice (for vitamins, minerals and fibre)
- 1 serving of milk and alternatives or meat and alternatives: milk, soy drink, yogurt, egg, peanut butter, cretons, etc. (for calcium and proteins)
Two other “non-essential” food groups can also be included. If consumed in moderation, they will not be “harmful”:
- Fats (butter, margarine),
- Sweetened goods (jam, honey, chocolate spread…).
No time, no hunger
That’s all very well, you’ll say “but I don’t have time to eat in the morning”. This problem can be solved by remembering to carry something to eat on the way or on reaching office, like a yogurt for example, a handful of cereal, dried fruit and nuts or almonds. Or as an alternative, prepare a good to drink on the go.
“Yeah, but I’m not hungry”… in which case, drink a glass of water or fruit juice as soon as you get up, and this will whet your appetite.
And don’t forget that old adage for staying in shape: “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper”.
Latest posts by Cinzia Cuneo (see all)
- “FODMAP Diet” Wins the DUX 2017 Contest – January 30, 2017
- What’s Happening with the Price of your Shopping Basket? – January 16, 2017
- How to Cook the Perfect Turkey in a Few Simple Steps – December 18, 2016