Food Allergy Horrors at Halloween
When you have a child suffering from a food allergy, Halloween celebrations are sure to make you break out into a cold sweat.
Here are some tips to enjoy the party in total safety:
- Don’t let your child go all alone from house to house in the neighbourhood
- Remind him/her that he/she can only eat the candy after you have examined it
- Carry his epinephrine auto-injector with you (in case he’s not so … “obedient”)
Sorting out the treats
- After returning home, carefully check the collected treats.
- Get rid of homemade items and those whose packaging contains no list of ingredients.
- Carefully read the labels of each of the treats that contain it. The list of ingredients of a known product may be altered at any time and the composition of the same product may vary according to size.
- Beware of cross-contamination. A handful of peanuts in your child’s pumpkin could contaminate the entire contents, if he is allergic to this food.
- When in doubt, don’t take any risks: Contact the manufacturer… or throw it out!
A special thanks to Nina Cuneo for this pumpkin picture.