SOS Tips: Freezing Foods
We are often a little lost when it comes to freezing and defrosting dishes. There are however, certain basic principles that will help you preserve the flavour and freshness of food.
Five guidelines for successfully freezing foods
1- Select good containers and packaging
It is absolutely necessary to avoid any contact between frozen food and air, as this will cause a loss of moisture and create “freezer burn”. So, for optimum freezing:
- Do not freeze food in its original packaging. Remove the foods from the packaging and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Next, place it in a freezer bag and remove all of the air from it.
- Use containers that are specially designed for storing and freezing foods. Aluminum foil should not directly touch the food, as it may lead to oxidation. It’s therefore better to place plastic wrap underneath the foil.
Latest posts by Cinzia Cuneo (see all)
- Duck Festival – September 18, 2016
- SOSCuisine at Specialty Food & Gluten Free Expo 2016 – September 14, 2016
- Why Does Healthy Bread Cost more than White Bread? – August 31, 2016