This cake is also called "Torta Caprese", i.e. "Capri Cake" because it's one of the island's best specialties. This version using egg whites and oil, instead of eggs and butter, has less saturated fat, and is gluten & lactose-free.
|1/2 cup||canola oil||125 mL|
|150 g||unsweetened (dark) chocolate, in small pieces|
|3 tbsp||coffee (liquid), strong or expresso, lukewarm||45 mL|
|3/4 cup||sugar||150 g|
|2 tsp||baking powder||5 g|
|1 3/4 cup||almonds, ground||260 g|
|4 tsp||icing/confectioners' sugar||10 g|
Before you start
A hand-held or stand mixer will make things easier for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Lightly oil a springform cake pan, then put the pan on a baking sheet.
- Melt the chocolate in the upper part of a bain-marie. When it is melted, stir in the coffee. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the sugar with the oil using a mixer, about 3 min until the mixture is light and creamy. Fold in the ground almonds, the baking powder, and the chocolate using a spatula.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks using an mixer. Then, add the beaten whites to the almond-chocolate mixture, blending gently. Transfer this mixture to the prepared pan. Put the pan (on the baking sheet) in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for about 30-40 min. Check the cake with a toothpick or knife to see if it is cooked through. When done, pull the cake out of the oven and let it cool down .
- When the cake is cool, transfer it to a serving dish. Dust the top of the cake with the confectioner's sugar then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (80g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||0||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Iron, Niacin, Omega-3, Omega-6, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Manganese
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin E
|Meat and Alternatives||½|
|Other Foods||1 ½|