|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1||onions, chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|1||carrots, chopped||100 g|
|1 stalk||celery, chopped||70 g|
|2 tsp||dried oregano||2 g|
|1||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|460 g||ground beef, extra-lean|
|1 slice||bread, whole wheat, processed into bread crumbs||35 g|
|1||eggs size large, beaten|
|2 tbsp||Parmesan cheese, grated||6 g|
|1/2 tsp||salt||2 g|
|2 1/2 cups||My Mother's Tomato Sauce||625 mL|
|1/2 cup||water||125 mL|
|4 tsp||extra virgin olive oil||20 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
- Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables then sauté until softened and translucent, about 3 min. Stir in the oregano and chili pepper, then cook an additional minute, with stirring.
- Layer about half of the cooked vegetables in the bottom of the ceramic cooking pot. Transfer the remaining vegetables to the food processor, then pulse a few minutes until the a puree is obtained.
- Transfer the pureed vegetables to a bowl. Chill a few minutes to cool slightly.
- Add the beef, bread crumbs, beaten egg, grated cheese, and salt to the bowl with the pureed vegetables. Add pepper to taste then mix well. Scooping about 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time into your hands, make the meatballs (3 per serving).
- Pour half of the tomato sauce into the bottom of the ceramic cooking pot, along with the water. Combine well with the vegetables.
- Place the meatballs on top in a single layer. Pour on the rest of the tomato sauce. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on 'low' for 4 h.
- A few minutes before the end of the cooking time for the meatballs, Cook the pasta.
- Put the drained fettuccine immediately back in the pasta cooking pot with the extra virgin olive oil. Mix well then serve with the meatballs and sauce.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (260g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||2||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||3|