Bell peppers stuffed with a mixture of ground beef and rice.
A recipe from my mother-in-law.
|6 tbsp||rice, long grain||70 g|
|4||yellow or red sweet peppers, halved lengthwise, deseeded||800 g|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|1 stalk||celery, cut into small pieces||70 g|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|400 g||ground beef, lean|
|1/2 cup||beef broth||125 mL|
|3/4 tsp||paprika||2 g|
|1/2 tsp||cayenne pepper [optional]||1 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|5 tsp||Italian parsley, fresh [optional]||8 g|
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Cook the rice.
- Prepare the vegetables : Cut the peppers in half lengthwise, then remove the seeds; finely chop the onion; cut the celery into small pieces.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion then sauté 3-4 min until lightly coloured and soft, paying attention not to let it burn. Add the celery and sauté 2 more min, then remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet, then add the ground meat. Sear about 4-5 min over medium-high heat until the meat looses its red colour, then break it up with a fork. In order to brown the meat, it is important not to stir it at the beginning, otherwise it will loose its juices and will «boil» rather than brown. When the meat is golden-coloured, put the cooked onion and celery back into the pan. Pour in the broth, then add the paprika and cayenne pepper (if desired). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked rice and mix well.
- Fill the pepper halves with the meat-rice mixture, dividing and slightly mounding it equally among the halves. Arrange the stuffed peppers in a baking dish. To keep the environment moist during baking, pour just a little water in the bottom of the dish (between ½ and 1 cup, depending on the dish size).
- Bake the peppers, uncovered, in the middle of the oven until the tops are browned, about 30 min.
- Serve immediately. The presentation may be brightened up by sprinkling some chopped parsley on top of the peppers.
The peppers may be stuffed 1 to 2 days ahead, then covered and chilled in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, sprinkle them with the cheese, pour water in the dish, then bake.
The prepared, stuffed peppers may also be baked ahead of time, then warmed up 15 min in the oven at 120°C/250°F before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (390g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||2 ½|