The beet belongs to the list of top ten vegetables that have the best antioxidant potential.
|2||onions, chopped||400 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|9||beetroots, peeled then cut into large chunks||1.1 kg|
|1||potatoes, peeled then cut into large chunks||200 g|
|1 tbsp||butter, unsalted||14 g|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1 tbsp||gingerroot, grated||14 g|
|5 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||1.25 L|
|1/4 cup||sour cream||65 mL|
|2 tbsp||chives, fresh, chopped||6 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prepare the vegetables: chop the onions and garlic; peel the beets and potatoes, then cut them into large chunks.
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, then sauté 3-4 min until soft. Grate the ginger and add it to the pan. Cook 1 min with stirring. Add the beets and potatoes, then pour in the broth, bring it to a boil, cover and simmer 1 h. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the pan off the heat, let it cool down a few minutes then purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Adjust the seasoning, then ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with sour cream and chopped chives, then serve (warm or at room temperature).
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (400g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Potassium
- Free :
- Added Sugar
Leave a review
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
KimGroenendykjanuary 29, 2014 | I would make this recipe again
Delicious! I am so pleased with the variety of the menu and this soup was something I would never have come up with on my own!