Chicken drumsticks cooked in a tangy mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
Chicken or pork made in the «adobo» style is the national dish of the Philippines. Every Filippino family throws their own spin on this recipe which may or may not require marinating the meat and always includes some frying («adobo» means «frying»). In any case, it is almost surprising that such an easy-going recipe (nicknamed «Lazy Chicken») delivers such a tasty result.
|8||chicken drumsticks||900 g|
|4 cloves||garlic, coarsely chopped|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1/3 cup||apple cider vinegar||85 mL|
|1/4 cup||water||65 mL|
|1/4 cup||soy sauce, low-sodium||65 mL|
|1/2 tsp||peppercorns||2 g|
|2||bay leaf||0.4 g|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Pat the chicken dry. Coarsely chop the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken drumsticks, without crowding the skillet in order to ease the browning of the meat on each side, about 7-8 min per batch. Transfer the chicken as browned to a plate. If applicable, repeat the operation with the remaining drumsticks.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the skillet and cook the garlic 1-2 min in the remaining fat over low heat, with stirring. Add the vinegar, water, soy sauce, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Bring the liquid to a boil, then put the chicken with any accumulated juices back into the skillet, lower the heat and simmer, covered, 15 min.
- Remove the lid and cook over moderately low heat, turning the chicken 2 or 3 times, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is tender, about 15 min (there should be no need to add any salt since the soy sauce is already rather salty). Serve.
Serve the chicken with its sauce on a bed of rice.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (170g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Saturated Fat, Sugar, Trans Fat
- Source of :
- Manganese, Vitamin D
|Meat and Alternatives||3|
Leave a review
gcsaidman2012-01-15T00:06:11+00:00 january 15, 2012 | I would make this recipe again
Absolutely delicious. I will make again.
may-may2011-11-21T03:59:16+00:00 november 21, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
Pinoy Classic!!! You'll never go wrong with adobo. You can also fry the left over to have another dish....or BBQ in the summer! This recipe sure is authentic....reminds me of home! although the use of bay leaves is optional....some people don't use it at all
eci05082011-08-12T12:06:16+00:00 august 12, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
Absolutely delicious! I usually use chicken leg quarters rather than just drumsticks, as not everyone in my family will eat the drumsticks. This also reheats really well, so I usually make it the night before, put it into an oven safe dish wrapped in foil in the fridge, and then when I get home from work I just pop it into the oven for 20 minutes to warm up while I make some rice and veggies and it's a fast, easy, delicious meal. The kids love it, too, which is always a bonus.
shoshi682011-05-22T15:53:36+00:00 may 22, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
One of our favourites - my husband loves the tangy salty of Asian cooking - this is a very popular dish in our household.
Ronaldenney2010-03-16T13:46:24+00:00 march 16, 2010 | I would make this recipe again
Good idea to pat the chicken dry - I didn't and had the hot oil splattering everywhere... Took the skin off the drumsticks which reduced the calories but also reduced the fat for the rest of the recipe. Very tasty dish - loved it. Served with rice and Oriental Broccoli Sauté from this site.
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
Suzannecilijuly 20, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
I've checked out this recipe with a Phillipine lady and she tells me it's authentic. REALLY delicious. My picky family loves it and it's looks great to serve.
teebeemarch 14, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
+It's fast, easy, cheap and the sauce is very good. -But the look and texture of drumsticks are not very appetizing.
TaraFraserfebruary 20, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
Produced nice and tender chicken. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I followed the recipe to the letter (except adding the peppercorns - since I didn't have any!) and the result was very tasty. Great for lunches too.