A chicken stew with peppers, onions, and potatoes in a tomato-paprika sauce.
Outside its native Hungary, where it is known as «gulyás» and is served as a hearty thick soup, goulash [pr. GOO-lahsh] is a stew made with beef or other meat and vegetables, flavoured with lots of very fresh sweet or spicy Hungarian paprika, giving it a pungent aroma.
|2||onions, thinly sliced||400 g|
|1 clove||garlic, chopped|
|2||tomatoes, deseeded and diced||240 g|
|1||yellow or red sweet peppers, cut into match-like strips||200 g|
|2||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 3 cm cubes||600 g|
|3 tbsp||olive oil||45 mL|
|4 tsp||paprika||12 g|
|2 1/4 tsp||ground cumin||5 g|
|1 cup||chicken broth, low-sodium, or more||250 mL|
|2||potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes||400 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1 1/2 tbsp||sour cream [optional]||23 mL|
- Prepare the vegetables : thinly slice the onions, chop the garlic, deseed and dice the tomatoes, and cut the peppers into match-like strips. Cut the chicken into 3 cm cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Sauté the meat until it is well browned on all sides, about 8-10 min, then transfer the cubes to a plate.
- Lower the heat to low, add the onions, and cook, stirring occasionally until they are well cooked, about 15 min. Return the meat to the pot, add the paprika and cumin, then cook 1 min with stirring. Add the chopped garlic, tomatoes, and peppers, then pour in the broth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cook, covered, over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 30 min, adding some broth if needed to keep a moist environment.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes, then add them to the pot and cook an additional 30 min. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (440g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
|Meat and Alternatives||4|