Grilled chicken breast with «tsatsiki», a yogurt-garlic sauce.
«Souvlaki» (pron. soo-VLAH-kee) is a Greek specialty consisting of meat chunks that have been marinated in a mixture of oil, lemon juice, oregano, and seasonings, then grilled and served with «tsatsiki» sauce.
|1 tbsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed||1/2 lemon|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 g|
|1/4 tsp||ground pepper||1 g|
|1 tsp||dried oregano||1 g|
|1 clove||garlic, minced or pressed|
|1||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces||300 g|
|2||corn tortillas||90 g|
Before you start
The chicken can be cooked using either a broiler in the oven or using metal skewers on an outdoor grill.
Keep the serving plates warm on the stove while you're preparing the dish.
- In a shallow dish, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and minced or pressed garlic. Cut the chicken into pieces then add them to the dish, turning to coat them well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, turning the pieces once.
Grill or broil
- Heat the grill to medium. Put the chicken pieces on to skewers and grill until the meat is lightly charred on the surface, about 10 min, turning the skewers and brushing with more marinade as needed. Alternatively, preheat the broiler. Put the chicken pieces on the rack of a broiler pan, 8-10 cm from the heat. Broil them about 10 min, turning them over a few times.
- Serve the souvlaki with the tsatsiki sauce and tortillas.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (170g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Selenium
- Good source of :
- Iron, Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Bone-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Milk and Alternatives||1|
|Meat and Alternatives||4|
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
MilkyDayapril 21, 2009 | I would make this recipe again