Ground beef with beans in a tomato sauce.
Spanish for «chili with meat», this dish is made of diced or ground beef and chili peppers. It originated in Texas, where it is commonly referred to as «a bowl of red». Texans would not add beans to the mixture, but outside the Lone Star State beans are requisite and the dish should then be called «chili con carne with beans».
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|1||green peppers, diced||150 g|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|400 g||ground beef, extra-lean|
|1 1/2 cup||canned tomatoes, low sodium||380 g|
|2 tbsp||tomato paste||30 mL|
|1 tsp||ground cumin||3 g|
|2 tbsp||brown sugar||26 g|
|1/2 cup||beef broth||125 mL|
|3 cups||red beans (canned), rinsed and drained||750 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1 tbsp||fresh cilantro, chopped [optional]||2 g|
|1||limes [optional]||70 g|
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- Prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion, mince the garlic and chili pepper, and finely dice the bell pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat, then cook, with occasional stirring, until the meat loses its pink colour, 7-8 min. Add the onion and garlic, then sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, about 3 min. Season with a little salt.
- Transfer the mixture to the ceramic cooking pot. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, diced bell pepper, beans, minced chili pepper, cumin, and brown sugar. Pour in the warm broth. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook 6-8 h at low temperature. Alternatively, cook the chili 4 h at high temperature.
- Add pepper to taste just before serving. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, garnish with lime wedges, then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (370g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
fifi2284march 23, 2014 | I would make this recipe again
We put less beans.