Ground chicken with beans in a tomato sauce.
Spanish for «chili with chicken», this dish is a version of the famous «chili con carne», the national dish of Texas.
|460 g||ground chicken|
|3 cups||red beans (canned)||750 mL|
|1 2/3 cup||canned tomatoes, low sodium||400 g|
|2 tbsp||tomato paste||30 mL|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1||green peppers, cut into small dices||150 g|
|2 tbsp||brown sugar||26 g|
|1/2 cup||chicken broth, low-sodium||125 mL|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|1 tsp||ground cumin||3 g|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|2 tbsp||water, if necessary||30 mL|
|1||limes [optional]||70 g|
|1 tbsp||fresh cilantro, chopped [optional]||2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prepare the vegetables. Chop the onion, mince the garlic and chili pepper, and finely dice the bell pepper.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet or a pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic about 3 min until the onion is soft and translucent, with occasional stirring, paying attention not to let them burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into the same pan, heat over medium heat, and add the ground chicken. Cook about 5 min, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the meat loses its pink colour.
- Put the cooked onion and garlic back into the pan. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, diced bell pepper, minced chili pepper, cumin, and brown sugar. Warm up the broth then pour it into the pan.
- Cover and cook over very low heat 1 ½ h, checking occasionally that the mixture stays moist. Add water if necessary.
- Drain the beans, rinse them and drain again. Add them to the pan, mix well, and cook an additional 8-10 min. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, garnish with lime wedges, then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||2||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|