Ground chicken with beans in a tomato sauce.
Spanish for «chili with chicken», this dish is a version of the famous «chili con carne», the national dish of Texas.
|460 g||ground chicken|
|3 cups||red beans (canned), rinsed and drained||750 mL|
|1 1/2 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||380 g|
|2 tbsp||tomato paste||30 mL|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1||green peppers, cut into small dices||150 g|
|2 tbsp||brown sugar||26 g|
|1/2 cup||chicken broth||125 mL|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|1 tsp||ground cumin||3 g|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|2 tbsp||water, if necessary||30 mL|
|1||limes [optional]||70 g|
|1 tbsp||fresh cilantro, chopped [optional]||2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- Prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion, mince the garlic and chili pepper, and finely dice the bell pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken, then cook, with occasional stirring, until the meat loses its pink colour, 7-8 min. Add the onion and garlic, then sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, about 3 min. Season with a little salt.
- Transfer the mixture to the ceramic cooking pot. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, diced bell pepper, beans, minced chili pepper, cumin, and brown sugar. Pour in the warm broth. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook 6-8 h at low temperature. Alternatively, cook the chili 4 h at high temperature.
- Add pepper to taste just before serving. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, garnish with lime wedges, then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (410g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||2||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|