Thai flavourings are used here to make an aromatic marinade and a more or less spicy sauce (optional).
|1 clove||garlic, finely chopped|
|2||green onions/scallions, finely chopped|
|1 1/2 tbsp||fresh cilantro, chopped, plus some leaves to garnish||3 g|
|2 tbsp||fish sauce (nam pla)||30 mL|
|2 1/2 tbsp||lime juice, freshly squeezed||1 1/4 lime|
|1 tbsp||wheat-free soy sauce||15 mL|
|1 tsp||sugar||4 g|
|1/2 tbsp||sesame seed oil||8 mL|
|1/2 tbsp||whisky||8 mL|
|2||pork chops with bones||360 g|
|4||Portobello mushrooms||170 g|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, to taste||0.4 g|
|2 tsp||cornstarch||5 g|
- Finely chop the garlic, half of the scallions and half of the cilantro leaves, then put them in a shallow dish. Pour in ¼ of the fish sauce and ¼ of the lime juice, the whole soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and whiskey. Arrange the pork chops in the dish, turning them a couple times to cover well with the marinade. Cover the dish with plastic wrap then let marinate in the refrigerator 1-2 hours, or overnight.
Broil or grill outdoors
- Place the pork chops on an oiled medium-hot grill. Cook about 10 min, turning them once, and brush them occasionally with the marinade while cooking.
- Prepare the mushrooms, brush them with a little canola oil and place them on the grill. Cook about 2 min, turning them once. Alternatively, put the pork chops and the mushrooms on the rack of a broiler pan then cook them in the oven under a preheated broiler 7-10 cm from the heat.
- While the meat is cooking, heat the remaining canola oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Chop the shallots, add them to the pan and sauté about 2 min. Add the minced chili pepper, cornstarch, the remaining fish sauce and lime juice. Cook 1 min with stirring.
- Transfer the pork chops and mushrooms to individual serving plates and spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with a few cilantro leaves and remaining chopped scallions.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (200g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|