Merguez is a red, spicy sausage, originally from North Africa. It is made with lamb and/or beef, and flavoured with a wide range of spices and a hot chili paste that gives it a red colour. It is traditionally grilled and served with a vegetable couscous.
- Prepare the vegetables: press the garlic and cut all the vegetables into 2 cm pieces. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 min, paying attention not to let it burn. Add the ras-el-hanout and the chili pepper. Cook the spices 1 min with stirring.
- Add the vegetables, salt and pepper, then sauté 5 min. Add the tomatoes, cover and cook until all vegetables are cooked al dente, about 20 min. Add the water and chickpeas. Adjust the seasoning, then cook 5 min. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the sausages on a medium-hot grill and cook until they are brown and crisp, about 7 min. Alternatively, sauté the sausages in a thick-bottom pan.
- When ready to serve, cook the couscous. Serve the sausages with the vegetables and couscous.
The vegetables may be cooked a few days in advance. The sausages and couscous may be cooked just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (600g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||2||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Vitamin B1, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||2 ½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
MilkyDayseptember 16, 2012 | I would make this recipe again
Simple and very tasty. My guests said it was better than in a restaurant.