A thick Middle Eastern dip made from mashed chickpeas and «tahini» (sesame seed paste), seasoned with lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.
Thanks to chickpeas, this recipe is an excellent source of fibre, folic acid, several minerals and vitamins B1, B3 (niacin) and B6.
|2/3 cup||chickpeas/garbanzo beans (canned)||170 mL|
|5 tsp||Tahini paste||30 g|
|4 tsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed||1/2 lemon|
|3 tbsp||olive oil||45 mL|
|2 tbsp||water, approximately||30 mL|
|4 slices||gluten-free crispbread||30 g|
|1/2||cucumbers, medium size||130 g|
|1 stalk||celery||70 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1/4 tsp||paprika [optional]||0.4 g|
|1 tsp||pine nuts [optional]||3 g|
|1 tsp||extra virgin olive oil [optional]||5 mL|
Before you start
Please note that this recipe uses canned chickpeas. For dried chickpeas, please see the corresponding recipe.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In a food processor purée the chickpeas with the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil until the hummus is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a few tablespoons of warm water to thin the hummus to the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with pine nuts and a pinch of paprika (optional). Serve with gluten-free breads and vegetables.
Keep up to 3 days, covered, in the refrigerator; up to 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (300g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C
- Good source of :
- Copper, Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||½|