Before you start
Split peas do not require presoaking before cooking.
- Rinse the splt peas well under cold water and drain.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Finely chop the onion, add it to the pot, and sauté with occasional stirring 4-5 min until translucent. Add the minced or pressed garlic, grated ginger, spices, and cloves. Cook 1 min with stirring. Add the peas and broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 min until the peas become very soft. Add the lemon juice and adjust the seasoning.
- If desired, purée the soup in a blender. Serve into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves (optional).
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (320g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B1, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Potassium
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|