Minced meat with onions, parsley, and spices.
These patties are popular throughout the Middle East. They can be made with lamb or beef, normally served with flat bread, yogurt, and salads.
|1||red onions, finely chopped||150 g|
|1/2 bunch||Italian parsley, fresh, finely chopped||50 g|
|460 g||ground beef, lean|
|1 tsp||ground coriander||3 g|
|2 tbsp||fresh mint, chopped||6 g|
|1/2 cup||yogurt, plain, 2%||130 g|
|4||corn tortillas||180 g|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|2 tsp||curry powder [optional]||6 g|
Before you start
These patties can be cooked using either an outdoor grill or in a pan on the stovetop.
- Finely chop the onion and parsley, then put them in a bowl. Add the ground beef and ground coriander. Add salt and pepper. For a more piquant flavour, you may add the curry powder. Stir well until the mixture is well combined and smooth. Chill for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator to firm up the meat mixture.
- The traditional kaftas are sausage-shaped : little balls are made first, then threaded onto skewers and moulded into log shapes about 10 cm long and 3 cm thick. However, it is perfectly acceptable to shape the kaftas into regular patties.
- Cook the « kaftas » on a lightly oiled hot grill for about 10 min, until the outside is golden brown and the inside loses its pink colour. Turn the patties once halfway through the cooking. Alternatively, heat a nonstick heavy-bottom pan. Add the « kaftas » and cook for about 10 min, turning them once.
- While the meat is cooking, chop the mint and mix it with the yogurt in a small bowl. Place the « kaftas » on tortillas then serve with the yogurt dip on the side.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (220g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||0|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|