A mixed broccoli and vegetable soup flavoured with «pesto».
Liguria is "pesto" homeland, hence the Ligurian adjective added to this recipe is almost synonymous of the famous sauce.
|2||potatoes, chopped into 3 cm pieces||400 g|
|4 cups||broccoli, cut into florets||500 g|
|2||carrots, chopped into 3 cm pieces||200 g|
|2||zucchini, chopped into 3 cm pieces||260 g|
|2 stalks||celery, chopped into 3 cm pieces||140 g|
|2||onions, chopped into 3 cm pieces||400 g|
|3 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||750 mL|
|3 cups||water||750 mL|
|3 tbsp||olive oil||45 mL|
|3 tbsp||pesto sauce||45 mL|
|6 slices||bread, whole wheat, low sodium, for the croutons||280 g|
|3 tbsp||olive oil, for the croutons||45 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prepare the vegetables. Peel the potatoes. Coarsely chop all the vegetables except the broccoli into uniform 3 cm pieces. Cut the broccoli into florets.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add all the vegetables except the broccoli and cook over medium heat for about 10 min with occasional stirring. Add the warm broth and water then cook an additional 8 min, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, prepare the croutons.
- Add the broccoli stalks, which take longer to cook, then add the florets 2 min later. Cook, uncovered, 10 min maximum until the potatoes are cooked and fork-tender. Don't overcook the broccoli, so that the soup will maintain a nice green colour.
- Purée the soup in a blender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls. Put a teaspoonful of pesto or more on top of each bowl, garnish with croutons and serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer. Pesto should be added just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (530g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar