Short pasta with ham and broccoli in a creamy cheese sauce.
Always a hit with both young and older epicures.
|1 3/4 cup||broccoli, cut into florets and diced stalks||220 g|
|150 g||gluten free/wheat free shells||2 1/4 cups|
|1 tbsp||butter, unsalted||14 g|
|1 tbsp||cornstarch||8 g|
|2/3 cup||milk, partly skimmed, 2%||170 mL|
|1/3 cup||Cheddar cheese, grated||26 g|
|70 g||ham, diced|
|1 pinch||nutmeg, grated|
|1/4 cup||pasta cooking water||65 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- Prepare the broccoli: clean it and cut it to separate the florets. Peel off and discard any though skin from the stalks and cut them into small pieces. Blanch the broccoli 3-4 min, then drain and set it aside, but keep it warm.
- To save time, the rest of the sauce preparation and pasta cooking can be done at the same time. Cook the pasta.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cornstarch and cook 2 min with stirring. Slowly whisk in the milk then bring to a boil. Add the grated cheese while stirring until the sauce is smooth. Add the ham, broccoli, and grated nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water to dilute the sauce a little bit.
- Add the drained pasta to the saucepan, then mix well. Serve in the warmed dishes.
The sauce can be made 2-3 days ahead, refrigerated, then reheated while you cook the pasta.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (280g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||2 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||½||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||½|
|Meat and Alternatives||1|