Short pasta with broccoli rabe in a garlic sauce.
Southern Italians are particularly fond of broccoli rabe, a vegetable related to both the cabbage and turnip family. To reduce its bitterness, it is important to boil it in a large quantity of water.
|150 g||broccoli rabe|
|110 g||pipe rigate, or other short cut pasta||1 2/3 cup|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1 clove||garlic, minced or pressed|
|4 tsp||Parmesan cheese, grated||4 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- Prepare the broccoli rabe: remove any tough portions of the stalks and wash well. Blanch in a pot with plenty of salted water about 4-5 min, then drain. Cut the broccoli rabe into chunks and set them aside, keeping them warm.
- To save time, the rest of the sauce preparation and pasta cooking can be done at the same time. Cook the pasta.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Gently sauté the minced or pressed garlic 1-2 min, with stirring, until soft without letting it burn. Add the drained broccoli rabe and season with pepper.
- Pour the drained pasta into the pan and mix with the seasoned broccoli rabe. Adjust the seasoning, add the grated parmesan, then serve in the warmed dishes.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (210g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||2||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||0|