Linguine with clams, or in Italian, «Linguine alle Vongole».
As is often the case in Italy, there are several versions of this dish. This is the «al verde» recipe, i.e. with parsley.
|2 tsp||Parsley and Garlic Base||10 mL|
|420 g||clams||14 units|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced or pressed|
|3 tbsp||white wine||45 mL|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- Carefully rinse and brush the clams to remove any sand. Drain. Discard any clams that stay open, even after being tapped, because they are not edible. Set aside.
- Heat the oil, the pressed or minced garlic, and the parsley and garlic base in a pot over medium heat. Add the clams, cover, and cook 4-5 min. Pour in the wine, cover, and continue to cook an additional 3 min. All the clams should be open (discard any that are still closed).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- Pour the linguine into the pot with the clams. Adjust the seasoning (in general, it is not necessary to add salt since the clams are somewhat salty). Mix well and serve in the warmed dishes.
Parmesan is not added since the flavour of fish sauces in general does not benefit from the addition of cheese.
Have a side bowl on the table to collect the empty shells.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (240g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||2 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
- Good source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
CharlieTrotteroctober 25, 2009 | I would make this recipe again