If you don't have Chinese broccoli, any other greens like asparagus, broccoli, broccolini, bok choy will work as well in this recipe.
|500 g||Chinese broccoli (gai lan)|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|1||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|1 tsp||gingerroot, finely grated||4 g|
|1 tbsp||miso (fermented soybean paste)||16 g|
|1 tsp||soy sauce, low-sodium||5 mL|
|2 tbsp||water||30 mL|
|1/4 tsp||sesame seed oil||1.25 mL|
Before you start
You will need a wok or saute pan.
- Cut the Chinese broccoli in half to separate the thick stems from the leaves. Mince the garlic and the chili pepper. Set aside.
- Add about 2 cm of water to a wok, or saute pan, and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Layer in the broccoli stems at the bottom of the wok and layer the leaves on top of the stems. (So that the thick stems, which are closer to the bottom of the pan, will cook faster) Steam for 3 minutes. Lift the leaves to a serving plate, using tongs. Check the stems to make sure they are cooked - they should be easily pierced with a fork. Add the stems to the serving plate when they are done.
- Discard the remaining water in the wok and wipe it dry with a towel. Return the wok to the stove then add in the oil, garlic, chili pepper and grated ginger. Turn the heat to medium-low. After the oil begins shimmering, cook for another 15 seconds (taking care not to burn the aromatics). Stir in the miso, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Cook another 15 seconds.
- Pour the sauce over the Chinese broccoli and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (130g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Iron, Magnesium, Omega-3, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||0|