Tofu, vegetables, and beans in a tomato sauce.
This dish is inspired by the Texan classic «chili con carne», with the ground beef replaced by tofu.
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|1||carrots, finely diced||100 g|
|1 stalk||celery, finely diced||70 g|
|1/2||green peppers, finely diced||80 g|
|5 tbsp||canola oil||75 mL|
|1 tsp||ground cumin||3 g|
|1 tbsp||brown sugar||12 g|
|420 g||firm regular tofu, finely diced||2 1/4 cups|
|1 2/3 cup||red beans (canned)||420 mL|
|1 1/2 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||380 g|
|1/2 cup||water approximately||125 mL|
|1 1/3 cup||basmati rice||240 g|
|1/3 cup||Cheddar cheese, grated||26 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|2 tbsp||fresh cilantro [optional]||4 g|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop the onion, mince the garlic and chili pepper, finely dice the carrots, celery, and bell pepper.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic about 2 min until the onion is translucent, with occasional stirring, paying attention not to let them burn. Add the carrots, celery, and bell pepper, then cook 4-5 min, with occasional stirring. Add the minced chili pepper, cumin and brown sugar, then cook 1 min, with stirring. Finely dice the tofu then add it to the mixture, then cook until golden-brown, about 8-10 min.
- Drain the beans, rinse them and drain again. Add them to the pan, mix well, add the diced tomatoes and enough water to provide a moist environment. Cover and cook over low heat an additional 10 min, until the carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the chili. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, grated cheddar and serve with the rice.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (530g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Good source of :
- Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||2 ½|
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
carolineouellette13october 17, 2016
Fantastic, really enjoyed both chilis.