Contrary to what its name suggests, the colour of the «red» lentil is actually closer to orange. It is a smaller and rounder lentil than the more commonly found brown type and falls apart as it cooks. It is rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins A and B.
|1 cup||red-orange lentils (dried), rinsed and drained||190 g|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1||red onions, finely chopped||150 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, pressed or minced|
|1 tbsp||gingerroot, grated||14 g|
|1/2 tsp||turmeric||2 g|
|1/2 tsp||ground cumin||2 g|
|1/2 tsp||curry powder||2 g|
|1/8 tsp||ground cinnamon||0.4 g|
|1/8 tsp||cayenne pepper||0.4 g|
|4 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||1 L|
|3/4 cup||canned tomatoes, low sodium||200 g|
|1 1/2 tbsp||lime juice, freshly squeezed||3/4 lime|
|2/3 cup||unsweetened coconut milk [optional]||170 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|3 tbsp||fresh cilantro [optional]||6 g|
Before you start
It is not necessary to soak the lentils in advance.
- Rinse the lentils well under cold water and drain.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Finely chop the onion, add it to the pot, and sauté with occasional stirring 4-5 min until translucent. Add the minced or pressed garlic, grated ginger and spices. Cook 1 min with stirring. Add the lentils, broth, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 15-20 min until the lentils become very soft. Pour in the coconut milk (optional) and lime juice. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves (optional).
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (280g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Manganese
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||1|