«Satays» [pr. sah-TAYS], an Indonesian favourite, consist of small marinated cubes of meat, fish, or poultry threaded onto bamboo skewers and grilled. They are usually served with a spicy peanut sauce. Here is a vegetarian interpretation.
|3 tbsp||soy sauce, low-sodium||45 mL|
|1 tsp||sesame seed oil||5 mL|
|160 g||firm regular tofu, cut into bite-size pieces||3/4 cup|
|1||green onions/scallions, finely chopped|
|1/2 tbsp||white vinegar||8 mL|
|1 tsp||sugar||4 g|
|4 tsp||peanut butter, natural||20 g|
|1/8 tsp||cayenne pepper||0.4 g|
|1/2||yellow or red sweet peppers, cut into squares||100 g|
|1/2||green peppers, cut into squares||80 g|
|1 tsp||canola oil||5 mL|
|4||bamboo or wooden skewers|
Before you start
Soak the wooden skewers for about 15 min before use to prevent them from burning while on the grill.
- Crush half of the garlic cloves, then place them into a bowl. Add half of the soy sauce and the sesame oil. Cut the tofu into bite-size cubes then add them to the bowl. Mix well, cover and let marinate on the countertop for about 20 min.
- While the tofu is marinating, prepare the peanut sauce : finely chop the scallions and the remaining garlic cloves then put them in a small bowl. Pour in the white vinegar and remaining soy sauce. Add the sugar, peanut butter, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Prepare the peppers, seed them and cut them into squares. Drain the tofu then thread the cubes onto the skewers, alternating with the peppers. Brush the satays with a little canola oil and place them on a hot grill or under the broiler. Cook 4-5 min, turning them occasionally, until the tofu and peppers are browned and crisp.
- Serve immediately with the peanut sauce.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (150g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Folacin, Iron, Omega-3, Omega-6, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
ambrosia27january 26, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
Quick and easy with simple ingredients.