A tasty and healthy root vegetable soup.
|3||potatoes, coarsely cut into 3 cm pieces||600 g|
|3||parsnips, coarsely cut into 3 cm pieces||280 g|
|2||carrots, coarsely chopped into 3 cm pieces||200 g|
|2||turnips, coarsely cut into 3 cm pieces||340 g|
|3 stalks||celery, coarsely chopped into 3 cm pieces||220 g|
|1||onions, coarsely cut into 3 cm pieces||200 g|
|1||leeks, coarsely cut into 3 cm pieces||300 g|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|4 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium, warm||1 L|
|1 cup||water, warm||250 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1 pinch||cayenne pepper [optional]||0.1 g|
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel the potatoes, parsnip, carrots, and turnips. Coarsely cut all the vegetables into uniform 3 cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add all the vegetables and cook over medium heat for about 10 min with occasional stirring. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of Cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Pour in the warm broth and water. Cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are cooked and fork-tender, about 20 min.
- Purée the soup in a blender. Adjust the seasoning. Serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (340g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy