Lentils are used to thicken the sauce and cilantro provides freshness to this fragrant curry.
|1/3 cup||red-orange lentils (dried)||60 g|
|1/2 tbsp||coriander seeds, ground or crushed||2 g|
|2 tsp||curry powder||6 g|
|3/4 tsp||turmeric||2 g|
|3/4 tsp||ground cumin||2 g|
|4 tsp||canola oil||20 mL|
|1/4||onions, finely chopped||50 g|
|1 cup||chicken broth||250 mL|
|9||chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces||600 g|
|150 g||spinach, shredded||5 1/2 cups|
|2 tsp||fresh cilantro, chopped||1 g|
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe. It is not necessary to soak the lentils in advance.
- Rinse the lentils well under cold water, drain them, then put them in the ceramic cooking pot. Coarsely grind the coriander seeds, using a pepper mill if available. Otherwise, place them in a plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin, then add them to the pot with the other spices, oil, and onion. Mix well. Stir in the hot broth.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on 'high' for 2 h.
- Add the chicken pieces to the lentil mixture, pressing them down in a single layer. Cover and cook on 'high' for 3 h or until the chicken is just tender.
- Add the spinach to the pot, pressing it down into the hot liquid. Cover and cook on 'high' for a further 30 min until wilted. Stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.
It is not necessary to add salt, since this recipe is already tasty.
Recommended side dishes
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (180g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Niacin, Omega-3, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
mikelortienovember 10, 2014
no taste. kids did not like. adults did not like. this recipe is waste of good ingredients