Ground beef, onions, mushrooms, and peas, covered with mashed potatoes, and baked until golden.
|11||potatoes, peeled then halved||2.2 kg|
|3||onions, finely chopped||600 g|
|32||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||440 g|
|2 1/2 tbsp||olive oil||35 mL|
|1 kg||ground beef, extra-lean|
|1 2/3 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||400 g|
|3 1/2 tbsp||tomato paste||55 mL|
|2 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce||30 mL|
|2 cups||beef broth||500 mL|
|2 cups||frozen peas||240 g|
|2 1/4 cups||milk, partly skimmed, 2%||560 mL|
|1/4 cup||butter, unsalted||60 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
- Prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms; peel the potatoes, cut them in half then boil them 20-25 min until very tender. Drain them well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and sear it until it looses its red colour, about 4-5 min, then break it up with a fork. In order to brown the meat, it is important not to stir it at the beginning, otherwise it will release its juices and will «boil» rather than brown.
- When the meat is golden-coloured, add the chopped onion then cook 2 min with stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and continue cooking until heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to a large baking dish.
- Pour the milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked potatoes and mash the mixture until it is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the potato mixture on top of the beef mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 30 min. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (630g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||½|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|