Polenta (cornmeal) is used in Northern Italy for savory and sweet dish alike. My mother used to make this cake and serve it with tea.
|1 cup||butter, unsalted||200 g|
|1 cup||sugar||200 g|
|1 1/2 cup||almonds||200 g|
|3/4 cup||cornmeal (polenta)||100 g|
|2 tsp||baking powder||5 g|
|3||eggs size large|
|2||lemons juice, freshly squeezed||240 g|
|1/2 cup||icing/confectioners' sugar||65 g|
Before you start
A hand-held or stand mixer will make things easier for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Line the base of a 25cm springform cake pan with parchment paper and grease its sides lightly with butter.
- Lightly grind the sugar in a coffee grinder to make it just a bit finer, but not to icing sugar consistency. Set aside in a bowl. Grind the almonds, then set aside in another bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar with the butter using a mixer, about 5 min until the mixture is pale and whipped. In another bowl, mix together the almonds, polenta and baking powder. Add the almond mixture, to the sugar micture, alternating with the eggs. Mix well until homogeneous.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for about 30-35 min. Check the cake with a toothpick or knife to see if it is cooked through. When done, pull the cake out of the oven and let it cool down in its pan.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar in a glass or pyrex container. Cook in a microwave at maximum power until the icing sugar is dissolved into the juice. Pour the warm syrup over the cake, and leave to cool before taking it out of its pan. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (90g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Niacin, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Low :
|Meat and Alternatives||0|
|Other Foods||1 ½|