A chilled lemon mousse and blueberries with a raspberry sauce.
In Italy we call «Semifreddo» («half cold») any of various chilled or partially frozen desserts.
Before you start
You may use either individual ramekins or a single large springform pan.
Prepare the lemon mousse
- Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a large spring formpan or of individual ramekins.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and put them in 2 separate bowls. Combine the egg yolks with the lemon juice and about ¼ of the sugar. Set aside.
- In the other bowl, beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until foamy, then add the salt and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until the egg whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks, about 7-8 min. Set aside.
- Pour the cream in a third bowl, then using the electric mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream and egg whites into the yolk mixture using a spatula.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the pan or distribute it into the ramekins. Cover with foil and freeze at least 8 hours if using the pan, or 2-3 hours for the ramekins.
Prepare the raspberry sauce
- Press the raspberries through a sieve using a rubber spatula to remove and discard the seeds. Place the berries in the jar of a blender. Add the sugar then blend until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator.
Unmould and garnish with the blueberries
- Just before serving, remove the frozen mousse from the springform pan and place it on a serving plate. If you are using ramekins, turn them upside-down onto individual serving plates. To make ramekin unmoulding easier, pour about 2 cm of hot water in a large bowl, then immerse the bottom of the ramekins in the water for about 1 min.
- Garnish the top of the mousse with the blueberries. Spoon the raspberries sauce over the individual servings and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (110g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
|Meat and Alternatives||½|
|Other Foods||1 ½|