Fish and chips with tartar sauce.
«Fish and Chips», Britain's favourite take-away, is completely revisited here to obtain a tasty but healthier result with no deep-frying.
|2||potatoes, Russet or Idaho type, yukon gold||500 g|
|1||egg whites, for the chips||2 tbsp|
|1/4 tsp||paprika, for the chips||1 g|
|1/2 tsp||salt, for the chips||2 g|
|1/2 tbsp||canola oil, for the baking sheet and the rack||8 mL|
|parchment paper, for the sheet|
|260 g||cod fillet, or hake, cut into pieces|
|1||egg whites, for the fish||2 tbsp|
|1/4 cup||milk, lactose-free, for the fish||65 mL|
|1/4 cup||white flour (all purpose), for the fish||30 g|
|1/4 cup||bread crumbs, for the fish||35 g|
|3/4 tsp||paprika, for the fish||2 g|
|1/4 tsp||cayenne pepper, for the fish||1 g|
|vegetable oil spray, for the fish|
|65 mL||Tartare Sauce||1/4 cup|
Before you start
Pay attention to the timing of the potato and fish preparation so that the fish is baked during the last 15 min of potato baking.
Preheat the oven to 260°C/500°F. Line with parchment paper a large baking sheet then oil it lightly. Start baking the potatoes. Prepare the fish during the first 15 min of potato baking. Bake the fish with the potatoes during the last 15 min of potato baking.
Oven «fried» chips
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4-6 wedges. It is important to cut them into wedges of similar size so that they will all cook evenly and be done at the same time.
- In a deep dish, whisk the egg white with the paprika and salt. Add the potato wedges and coat them well with the egg white mixture. Transfer them to the baking sheet. Don't crowd the potatoes on the sheet or they will steam and not turn golden-brown.
- Bake on the bottom oven rack 15 min, then turn the potatoes and bake an additional 15 min.
Oven «fried» fish
- Cut the fish into servings.
- Prepare 2 shallow dishes: beat the egg and milk in one dish, then combine the bread crumbs, flour, spices, and a pinch of salt in the other dish. Dip one fish piece at the time, first in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture. Let the excess egg drip off before coating the fish in the flour mixture again. Turn the fish to coat both sides.
- Put the fish on an oiled rack of a broiler pan and spray them evenly with a vegetable oil spray. Bake the fish for 15 min on the top oven rack.
- Take the fish and chips out of the oven. Add salt to taste. Serve with the tartar sauce on the side.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (390g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Source of :
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
|Milk and Alternatives||0|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|