|4||tomatoes, large, ripe||1 kg|
|3 tbsp||Parsley and Garlic Base||45 mL|
|2 1/2 tbsp||olive oil||38 mL|
|2 tsp||sugar||8 g|
|4 tsp||bread crumbs||10 g|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.1 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
For good results, use only locally-grown, sun-ripened field tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/250°F.
- Wash the tomatoes and wipe dry. Cut them in half crosswise and remove the seeds.
- Heat about one tablespoon of oil in a pan. Place the tomatoes into the pan, cut side up and cook over high heat about 3-4 min, until the tomatoes start to darken. Turn them and cook an additonal 3-4 min over low heat.
- Place the tomatoes in an ovenproof dish, cut side up. Add salt and pepper. Distribute the remaining oil, sugar, and Parsley and Garlic base to each half-tomato, then cover with the bread crumbs.
- Bake in the middle of the oven about 1 hour until the tomatoes are tender and caramelized. Serve hot, luke-warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (220g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Potassium, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy