This is a traditional Russian soup: earthy root vegetables, cooked with fresh spinach, are enlivened here with a tart, fresh topping of dill, lemon and sour cream.
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel the potatoes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, and celeriac, then cut them into uniform pieces of about 2,5 cm. Coarsely chop the onion and finely chop the garlic.
- Put all the vegetables and broth into a pot. Bring to a boil, cover then simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 25 min.
- Meanwhile, boil the egg(s) (10 min), cool them down immediately in cold water, then cut them into halves. Set aside.
- Add the spinach and cook until it is wilted, about 2-3 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finely chop the dill, then add it to the soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each bowl with half a boiled egg, along with lemon quarters and sour cream. Serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (460g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Niacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||½|