Tofu "steaks" marinated in a soy-ginger sauce, then pan-fried and served with a fennel-spinach salad.
|220 g||firm regular tofu||1 cup|
|1 1/2 tbsp||wheat-free soy sauce||23 mL|
|1 1/2 tbsp||rice vinegar||23 mL|
|1 tsp||sesame seed oil||5 mL|
|1 tbsp||gingerroot, grated||12 g|
|1 clove||garlic, pressed|
|1/2||fennels, thinly sliced||170 g|
|3 1/2 cups||baby spinach, washed and drained||60 g|
|15 mL||Classic Vinaigrette||1 tbsp|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.1 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1||green onions/scallions, finely chopped|
Before you start
A mandolin will make slicing the fennel easier.
- Wrap the tofu in a towel, place it on a chopping board, then put a heavy plate on top. Let stand 20 min to remove any excess water. Cut the tofu into 1 cm thick slices, then arrange the slices in a single layer in a large shallow dish or bowl.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Grate the ginger, press the garlic, then add them to the bowl. Mix well, then pour the marinade over the tofu. Let stand at room temperature for about 20 min.
- While the tofu is marinating, prepare the salad : trim and discard the stalk and feathery leaves of the fennel. Also discard any tough outer layers of the bulb. Thinly slice the bulb crosswise using a mandolin then put the slices in a bowl. Wash the spinach, drain, then add it to the fennel. Pour the Classic Vinaigrette over the salad, season with salt and pepper then toss well. Distribute the salad onto the individual serving plates.
- Take the tofu slices out of the marinade, drain, then fry 3 min per side in a grooved heavy-bottom pan. Arrange the steaks on the plates. Finely chop the scallions and sprinkle them on top of the steaks. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (230g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Fibre, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
- Bone-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||2|