A soup with vegetables, thin slices of chicken and rice sticks in a chicken broth.
This soup, a meal in itself and inspired by the famous Vietnamese Pho soup, is ideal to use up leftovers from a Chinese fondue.
|1/2 tbsp||canola oil||8 mL|
|1/2||shallots, finely chopped||20 g|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|1/2 tbsp||gingerroot, grated||7 g|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|2 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||500 mL|
|1 cup||water||250 mL|
|1 tbsp||fish sauce (nam pla)||15 mL|
|160 g||chicken for Chinese fondue|
|80 g||rice sticks (noodles)|
|1||carrots, grated||100 g|
|1||green onions/scallions, thinly sliced|
|4||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||55 g|
|1 1/2 cup||soybean sprouts||100 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Individual 500 ml (2 cups) serving bowls are needed.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot, then sauté 2-3 min. Add the garlic, ginger and chili pepper. Sauté 3 min with stirring. Pour in the broth and water, then add the fish sauce and a little salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer a few minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Add the chicken slices, warm up the broth 1 min, then take the saucepan off the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice sticks for about 4 min in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain in a colander, then rinse and drain again. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: Grate the carrots, then thinly slice the green onions and mushrooms. Portion out the vegetables into individual serving bowls. Add the soybean sprouts and cooked rice sticks. Pour in the hot broth and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (540g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||2|