A crowd-pleasing low-carb pizza.
|vegetable oil spray|
|2||eggs size large|
|2 tbsp||water||30 mL|
|1 cup||bread crumbs||140 g|
|2||aubergines / eggplants, large size||900 g|
|12||anchovy fillets||50 g|
|1 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||260 g|
|1/2 cup||Parsley and Garlic Base||125 mL|
|4||bocconcini / fresh mozzarella||220 g|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.1 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
For best results, choose large, preferably round and fleshy eggplants with smooth shiny skin.
Bake the aubergines
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Prepare one or more baking sheets and spray them evenly with a vegetable oil spray.
- Prepare 2 wide, shallow dishes for the egg and coating mixture: beat the egg(s) with the water in one, put the bread crumbs in the other.
- Prepare the aubergines :Slice them crosswise into 1 cm thick slices. Working with one slice at the time, dip it in the egg mixture, let the excess egg drip off, then coat it with the bread crumbs. Turn the slices to coat both sides. Place the slices on the baking sheet(s), season with salt, then bake until the aubergines are golden-brown on the bottom, 15-20 min. Turn the slices and continue baking an additional 15-20 min until browned on the other side. Remove the aubergines from the oven and raise the temperature to 'broil'.
Bake the pizzas
- Distribute the anchovies, tomatoes, Parsley and Garlic Base, and bocconcini on top of the aubergine slices. Put the baking sheet back into the oven at about 10 cm from the grill. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 min. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (280g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||1||servings|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||2|