Pearl barley makes a very good risotto — and with almost no stirring at all.
|1/2||shallots, finely chopped||20 g|
|1 tsp||olive oil||5 mL|
|1/2 cup||pearl barley||90 g|
|1 cup||chicken broth||250 mL|
|1/3 cup||water||85 mL|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot, sprinkle with salt, then sauté until the shallot begins to soften, about 3 min.
- Add the barley, then cook 3 min with constant stirring. Pour in the broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to 'low' and cover. Cook until the barley is al dente, about 30 min.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir once, cover and let stand 5 min. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (140g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||0||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Cholesterol, Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Manganese, Niacin, Selenium
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Leave a review
wmccullo2014-11-05T02:15:13+00:00 november 05, 2014 | I would make this recipe again
used beef broth instead.
email@example.comT22:47:22+00:00 december 31, 2013 | I would make this recipe again
This was good - kids and parents enjoyed it. I should have salted it more as I don't salt my homemade chicken broth.
claforet2013-09-10T00:00:24+00:00 september 10, 2013
It was an okay recipe. I found a little bit bland. It's okay as a side dish I guess.
alex.sarakbi2013-09-17T12:54:36+00:00 september 17, 2013
***Update*** At 3 servings the result was much better, but the liquid wasn't entirely absorbed after 30 minutes even though I didn't add the water The recipe was a total disaster... I'm not sure if it was because I was cooking one service, but cooking 1/4 a shallot for 3 minutes, and 1/4 cup of barley for 30 minutes! The result was barely eatable although I removed it from the stove (low heat) before the end of the 30 minutes (when I started smelling it burn!)...
slightlywoman2012-10-20T07:39:01+00:00 october 20, 2012 | I would make this recipe again
I used Arborio Rice instead of barley
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
Katharsisapril 05, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
This was a very nice change from rice. Love the texture of the barley, I usually only put it in soup. Going on the menu as a frequent side dish option!
MilkyDayfebruary 13, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
I tried this recipe to change from the usual rice or potato side dish. We all loved it.
wmccullonovember 05, 2014 | I would make this recipe again
used beef broth instead.