Before you start
This gratin may be served in single-servings, using shallow baking dishes containing about 1 cup ea.
- Preheat the oven to 215°C/425°F.
- Prepare the leeks, then slice them into thin rounds.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat, then add the leeks. Sauté about 5 min, add the warm broth and cook 10 min until the leeks are soft. Drain the leeks and set them aside in a bowl. Pour the drained broth back into the saucepan. Add the milk, warm a few minutes over very low heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan over low heat. Add the cornstarch and mix well. Cook 5 min, with constant stirring so that the mixture remains white.
- Gradually pour the warm broth and milk over the butter-cornstarch mixture, whisking gently. After about 5 min, when the mixture is almost homogeneous, add the leeks and the grated nutmeg. Simmer 5 min, stirring occasionally. Pour in and blend 2/3 of the grated cheese. Adjust the seasoning. Salt may not be needed since the cheese is rather salty.
- Transfer all to an ovenproof dish and cover with the remaining cheese. Bake about 10 min until the cheese has formed a thin crust and is nicely browned on top. Serve.
Can be prepared a few days in advance and baked just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (340g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||¾||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Niacin, Omega-3, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Diet-related health claims :
|Milk and Alternatives||½|
|Meat and Alternatives||½|