This dish incorporates many of the distinctive elements of Spanish cuisine: almonds, paprika and peppers, to obtain a flavourful and colourful sauce.
|2 tsp||canola oil||10 mL|
|1/4 cup||slivered almonds||18 g|
|2 servings||Oven-Roasted Peppers|
|1 tsp||paprika||3 g|
|1/8 tsp||cayenne pepper||0.4 g|
|1||onions, quartered||200 g|
|1 tbsp||wine vinegar||15 mL|
|1 tsp||balsamic vinegar||5 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 g|
|1 cup||Italian parsley, fresh, plus a few leaves for garnish||80 g|
|3||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces||900 g|
|1 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||260 g|
- Heat the oil in a pan over low heat. Stir in the almonds. Toast them, shaking the pan the entire time to prevent them from burning. When you start to "smell" the almonds, add the paprika and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Transfer the almonds and paprika to a food processor. Add all the other ingredients, except chicken and tomatoes. Pulse until everything is roughly chopped. Pour the sauce into the ceramic cooking pot, add the chicken and tomatoes. Stir to combine and coat the chicken with the mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on 'low' for 6-8 h. Alternatively, cook on 'high' for 4-5 h.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce. You may garnish with additional chopped parsley.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (190g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Vitamin B12
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
|Meat and Alternatives||4|