Grilled chicken breast with «tsatsiki», a yogurt-garlic sauce.
«Souvlaki» (pron. soo-VLAH-kee) is a Greek specialty consisting of meat chunks that have been marinated in a mixture of oil, lemon juice, oregano, and seasonings, then grilled and served with «tsatsiki» sauce.
|1 tbsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed||1/2 lemon|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 g|
|1/4 tsp||ground pepper||1 g|
|1 tsp||dried oregano||1 g|
|1 clove||garlic, minced or pressed|
|1||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces||300 g|
|2 servings||Tsatsiki Sauce||1 cup(s)|
|2||pita breads||90 g|
Before you start
The chicken can be cooked using either a broiler in the oven or using metal skewers on an outdoor grill.
Keep the serving plates warm on the stove while you're preparing the dish.
- In a shallow dish, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and minced or pressed garlic. Cut the chicken into pieces and add them to the dish, turning to coat them well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, turning the pieces once.
Grill or broil
- Heat the grill to medium. Put the chicken pieces on to skewers and grill until the meat is lightly charred on the surface, about 10 min, turning the skewers and brushing with more marinade as needed. Alternatively, preheat the broiler. Put the chicken pieces on the rack of a broiler pan, 8-10 cm from the heat. Broil them about 10 min, turning them over a few times. In the meantime, wrap the pita bread in foil and put it in the lower third of the oven to warm up.
- Serve the souvlaki with the tsatsiki sauce and the warmed pita bread.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (170g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Bone-healthy, Heart-healthy
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Iron, Manganese, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Source of :
- Copper, Vitamin C
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
|Milk and Alternatives||1|
|Meat and Alternatives||4|