Marinated chunks of chicken, grilled with peppers, onions, and mushrooms, served with pita bread.
Many different types of skewered, marinated meats (sometimes fish) and vegetables are eaten throughout the Middle East. This version features chicken.
|2 cloves||garlic, crushed|
|2||shallots, finely chopped||80 g|
|3 tbsp||olive oil||45 mL|
|3 tbsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed||1 lemon|
|1 tbsp||dried oregano||2 g|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1 1/3||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into cubes||400 g|
|4||yellow or red sweet peppers, cut into 2 cm squares||800 g|
|2||onions, cut into segments||400 g|
|24||button (white) mushrooms, whole or cut in half||340 g|
|20||mini-tomatoes (cherry, miniature or grape)||1 1/3 cup|
|2 tsp||olive oil, for the grill||10 mL|
|4||pita breads||180 g|
|4 servings||Tsatsiki Sauce||2 cup(s)|
Before you start
Metal skewers are needed for cooking.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and set aside.
- Crush the garlic and finely chop the shallot, then put them in a shallow dish. Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice, add the oregano, salt, and pepper, then place the chicken cubes into the dish and mix well. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let marinate for several hours, or overnight, in the refrigerator.
Broil or grill outdoors and prepare the sauce
- Prepare the tsatsiki sauce.
- Prepare the vegetables : Seed the peppers, then cut them into 2 cm squares; Cut the onion into small segments; Leave the mushrooms whole, if similar in size as the rest, otherwise, cut them in half. Alternate the meat and vegetable pieces onto metal skewers. Thread the tomatoes onto separate skewers.
- Cook the kebabs and tomatoes on an oiled hot grill or under the broiler, turning them occasionally and basting with oil. The tomatoes will be ready in about 5 min, the kebabs in about 10 min.
- Serve the kebabs with the sauce and pita bread.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
|Milk and Alternatives||1|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|