Elegant and simple: a true classic.
|17||asparagus, average size||340 g|
|2 3/4 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||700 mL|
|3 tbsp||margarine non-hydrogenated||40 g|
|5 tbsp||white flour (all purpose)||40 g|
|1/3 cup||dairy blend 5%||85 mL|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prepare the asparagus: boil them 7-8 min until tender. Drain the asparagus, then immediately plunge them into a bowl of cold water to stop cooking (this also helps keeping a nice, green colour). Cut the asparagus into pieces, keeping the tips for decorating the bowls.
- Meanwhile, warm up the broth in a saucepan and heat the margarine in a pot over low heat. Add the flour to the pot and beat well with a whisk or wooden spoon. Cook for about 3 min, stirring constantly and taking care not to let the mixture burn. Slowly add the warm broth, while stirring thoroughly to avoid lumps. Cook over medium heat 4-5 min.
- Add the asparagus and cook an additional 2-3 min, then purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Pour the soup back into the pot, add the dairy blend and adjust the seasoning.
- Reheat the soup for a few minutes, then serve it into bowls, garnishing with the reserved asparagus tips.
The soup keeps up to 6 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer. Cream should not be added before freezing, but only later when the soup is reheated.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (240g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Omega-3, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat