A beef stew with peppers, onions, and potatoes in a tomato-paprika sauce.
Outside its native Hungary, where it is known as «gulyás» and is served as a hearty thick soup, goulash [pr. GOO-lahsh] is a stew made with beef or other meat and vegetables, flavoured with lots of very fresh sweet or spicy Hungarian paprika, giving it a pungent aroma.
- Prepare the vegetables : thinly slice the onions, chop the garlic, deseed and dice the tomatoes, and cut the peppers into match-like strips. Trim the fat off the meat and cut the beef into 3 cm cubes (if not already done by the butcher).
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Sauté the meat in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pot, with the addition of butter and oil as needed. Cook each batch of meat until it is well browned on all sides, about 5 to 6 min, then transfer the cubes to a plate while the next batch browns.
- When all the meat is cooked, lower the heat to low, add the onions, and cook, stirring occasionally until they are well cooked, about 15 min. Return the meat to the pot, add the paprika and cumin, then cook 1 min with stirring. Add the chopped garlic, tomatoes, and peppers, then pour in the broth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cook, covered, over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 1 ½ h, adding some broth if needed to keep a moist environment.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes, then add them to the pot and cook an additional 30 min. Adjust the seasoning.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||4 ½|