This protein-rich version of the classic salad shows why it has become a favourite.
Grill the chicken
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat or preheat the broiler.
- Pat the chicken dry, then brush it with a little of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil the chicken until cooked through and golden-coloured, about 15 min, turning it once. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cover it loosely with foil.
Make the dressing:
- Drain the anchovy fillets, pat them dry on a paper towel, then mince.
- In a small saucepan heat one tablespoon of the olive oil over moderately low heat. Add the crushed garlic then cook 2-3 min until it is softened. Add the minced anchovies, then stir and mash them 1 min to form a paste. Set aside.
- Separate the egg yolk(s) from the white(s). (Set aside the white(s) in a jar in the refrigerator or freezer for future use in another recipe).
- In a bowl, whisk together the yolk(s), mustard, vinegar, and Tabasco sauce. Add the remaining olive oil in a stream, whisking until the dressing is emulsified. Add the garlic and anchovy paste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Dress the salad:
- In a nonstick pan, fry the chopped bacon until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel to absorb the excess fat.
- Wash the romaine lettuce, then spin-dry. Reserve the outer leaves for another use. Tear the pale-green inner leaves into bite-size pieces.
- In a salad bowl, toss the romaine lettuce with the bacon bits, and the dressing until the salad is well combined. Cut the chicken crosswise into thin slices, then arrange them over the salad and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (290g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Manganese, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||5|