A thick sirloin steak, grilled then carved into thin slices and served on a bed of mixed greens.
This is the traditional way steaks are grilled and served in Northern Italy. The word «tagliata», i.e. «sliced», refers to the fact that they are served pre-cut into thin slices. A «tagliata sandwich», grabbed in one of the cafés neighbouring the «La Scala» theatre is the quick dinner of busy Milanese on their way to the opera.
|2 sprigs||rosemary, fresh||10 g|
|2 tsp||dried oregano||1 g|
|1/4 tsp||ground pepper||1 g|
|800 g||beef, top sirloin, or sirloin tip, 5 cm thick|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|6 cups||mixed greens||150 g|
|30 mL||Classic Vinaigrette||2 tbsp|
|2 tsp||balsamic vinegar||10 mL|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.1 g|
Before you start
When you buy the meat, have it cut into one steak about 5 cm thick.
- Finely chop the rosemary, then put it in a shallow dish. Add the oregano and freshly ground pepper. Pat the steak dry with paper towels, then press the herb mixture onto both sides of the meat. Let the meat stand at room temperature, loosely covered, for 30 min.
- Brush the meat with the olive oil, then cook it on a hot grill, or in a heavy-bottom pan, for about 8 min per side for medium-rare, turning it once. Transfer the beef to a board, cover loosely and let stand for about 5 min (to reabsorb the juices).
- While the meat is cooking, put the mixed greens in a bowl, pour in the Classic Vinaigrette, then season with salt and pepper. Toss, then distribute onto individual serving plates.
- Slice the meat thinly using a heavy knife, and place the slices over the beds of mixed greens. Pour in any accumulated meat juices, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and a little salt, then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (200g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||2||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Manganese, Vitamin C
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||5 ½|