Ground horse meat, mushrooms, and peas, covered with mashed sweet potatoes, and baked until golden.
Iron-rich and very lean, horse meat is also very tender. Its taste is similar to beef but a bit sweeter.
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
- Prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms; peel the potatoes, cut them in half then boil them 20-25 min until very tender. Drain them well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the meat and sear it until it looses its red colour, about 4-5 min. It is important not to overcook, otherwise the meat becomes too dry.
- When the meat is golden-coloured, add the chopped onion then cook 2 min with stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Tabasco sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and continue cooking until heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to a baking dish.
- Pour the milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked potatoes and mash the mixture until it is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the potato mixture on top of the meat mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 30 min. Serve.
The pie can be frozen right after having completed step 5. It can then be baked (taken directly from the freezer) for about 50 min at 205°C/400°F.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (400g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||0|
|Meat and Alternatives||2|