Pricking the sausages and blanching them before sautéing (as we often do in Italy), reduces the amount of fat.
|2||Italian sausages||150 g|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1 clove||garlic, crushed|
|1 sprig||rosemary, fresh||5 g|
|1/3 cup||My Mother's Tomato Sauce||85 mL|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prick through the skin of the sausages in several spots using a fork. Put the sausages in a saucepan, cover them with water then bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 5 min. Take the sausages out of the water, pat them dry, then cut each sausage into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and rosemary sprig, then sauté until the oil becomes perfumed with the garlic and rosemary aroma, 3 to 4 min. Pay attention not to let them burn.
- Add the sausages, then sauté until they become lightly coloured, 2 to 3 min. Turn them a few times while cooking. Add the tomato sauce then cook 8-10 min over medium heat, tossing occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
These sausages may be served on rice, pasta, couscous or bread.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (70g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Excellent source of :
- Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12
- Good source of :
- Niacin, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Leave a review
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
ChefJllmarch 07, 2012 | I would make this recipe again
The kids loved this and said to make sure I make it again! It's super easy to make. The adults loved it too.