This flour-free bread raises just like a traditional loaf... it's practically magic! Based on the recipe from Maria Emmerich.
|3 cups||almond meal||300 g|
|1 1/4 cup||psyllium husks, very finely ground||90 g|
|4 tsp||baking powder||10 g|
|1 tsp||salt||4 g|
|5 tbsp||apple cider vinegar||75 mL|
|6||egg whites||3/4 cup|
|1 1/2 cup||water, boiling||375 mL|
Before you start
Careful: Mesure the psyllium husks before grinding them to obtain the right bread texture.
A hand-held or stand mixer will make things easier for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Oil a loaf pan or a cookie sheet, depending on the chosen cooking method. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients. Mix a few seconds using a mixer.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl then mix well, using a mixer, until the dough thickens.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 75-90 min, until the loaf is golden-colored and the inside is well cooked. Alternatively, divide the dough into 16 rolls. Transfer the rolls to the baking sheet, then to the oven. Bake for 60-75 min.
- Let cool completely, then slice.
Baking the bread in a loaf pan yields a denser texture, while baking the rolls on a baking sheet yields a fluffier texture.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (40g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||0||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Manganese
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Niacin, Omega-6, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||0|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
MilkyDayseptember 14, 2018 | I would make this recipe again
Best low-carb bread ever. Even my difficult hubby likes it. Thanks SOS!