This flour-free bread raises just like a traditional loaf... it's practically magic! Based on the recipe from Maria Emmerich.
|3 cups||almond meal||300 g|
|1 1/4 cup||psyllium husks, very finely ground||90 g|
|4 tsp||baking powder||10 g|
|1 tsp||salt||4 g|
|5 tbsp||apple cider vinegar||75 mL|
|6||egg whites||3/4 cup|
|1 1/2 cup||water, boiling||375 mL|
Before you start
Careful: Measure the psyllium husks before grinding them to obtain the right bread texture. If you use ground psyllium, make sure you have the right weight. You may need to grind it further.
A hand-held or stand mixer will make things easier for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Oil a loaf pan or a cookie sheet, depending on the chosen cooking method. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients. Mix a few seconds using a mixer.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl then mix well, using a mixer, until the dough thickens.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 75-90 min, until the loaf is golden-colored and the inside is well cooked. Alternatively, divide the dough into 16 rolls. Transfer the rolls to the baking sheet, then to the oven. Bake for 60-75 min.
- Let cool completely, then slice.
Baking the bread in a loaf pan yields a denser texture, while baking the rolls on a baking sheet yields a fluffier texture.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (40g)
% Daily Value
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Manganese
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Niacin, Omega-6, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||0|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
MilkyDayseptember 14, 2018 | I would make this recipe again
Best low-carb bread ever. Even my difficult hubby likes it. Thanks SOS!