Lamb gently simmered with fennel, almonds, olives, and Moroccan spices.
«Ras-el-hanout» is the complex Moroccan spice blend used in this recipe. It means «head of the shop», because shop owners create their own unique blend, which combines up to 50 ingredients, sometimes including also aphrodisiacs, but most commonly cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, anise, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, dried flowers, mace, and turmeric.
Before you start
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. In a small bowl, macerate the raisins in water.
- Prepare the vegetables. Mince the onion and garlic, cut the fennel into thin slices, and chop the carrot. Cut the lamb into 3-4 cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Sauté the lamb pieces, turning frequently. Cook about 8-10 min, until golden. Add salt and pepper, then transfer the lamb and cooking juice into the tagine or casserole. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the butter and sauté the onion, garlic, and fennel 2-3 min over medium heat. Add the carrot and diced tomatoes. Cook 5 min.
- Place the vegetables into the casserole with the lamb pieces. Add the raisins, olives, whole almonds (optional), cilantro, bay leaves, and spices. Pour in the warm broth. Cook 40 min with the lid on and then 15 min without, in order to reduce the juice. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning.
- When ready to serve, cook the couscous. Serve directly out of the casserole with the couscous on the side.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (560g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||2||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||3|